Tuesday, November 6, 2007

There's so much filth in there

I am sure each one of us has either harboured a desire to be a part of the coveted Civil Services cadre or knew someone who did. I count myself in the latter category. When my friend expressed this desire my first question was "Are you sure? But there is so much filth in there!" The bureacracy and the corruption in the system have filled many pockets, and many headlines. But my friend was driven by the fact that through this job, she could help people, reach out to the needy ones. I argued that this could be done through other ways as well, like through NGOs, for example. But this the post that has the power to help and create change, she countered.

Power. I think of it as the entity (next to money) which can drive people to unfathomable lengths. I wouldn't get mixed in it, if I were you.

No comments: